Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Jia






I wrote a story and a couple of prose poems about a character named Jia, a Chinese woman who is a Tai Chi master and a teacher of Mandarin and the guzheng. I had no idea what the name meant in Chinese – I just liked the sound of it and thought it would make a good character name. A friend told me recently that she thought it was a good choice, because Jia means “home”.

I will soon be going back to school to become a teacher of English as a second language, and I’m also learning Chinese. With luck in a few months I’ll be living and teaching English somewhere in China. The character Jia was inspired by my friend Susan, who really is a Tai Chi master. How interesting and ironic that when I’m about to begin an adventure that will take me far from family and friends, I unwittingly pick this name for my muse. Jia will be in my heart wherever I go.


Emissary

Summer night, glass of red wine, pen and paper . . . cricket outside my window.

Are you laughing at my loneliness, small friend, or are you calling to a loved one?

Jia is only 65 miles away, but might as well be 65,000 – from here to Huangguoshu Waterfall. No mountain ranges or swift rivers separate us – only streams of concrete – and our languages, our dreams, our fears, our loves, our ghosts.

My glass is empty now, so I’ll write a funny poem to make us laugh – you and me, Mr. Cricket.

Or are you an emissary and this noise is Jia’s message? I know, let’s all speak your language for a change.

Was she playing the guzheng? How much better my poetry would be if written to her lovely version of “Spring on Snowy Mountains” – rather than your noisy serenade. Or, glass of white wine in hand, has she gone outside to gaze at the moon?

Okay, you win! I’ll come outside instead of write. I had nothing good to say anyway – only wine-soaked words of longing and self-pity.

Yes, she is beautiful on this summer night.

Now jump to it, my friend! Back to the peonies below Jia’s window. Quick! Jump a thousand leagues and then a thousand more! Tell her I understood the message. Tell her that I too am gazing up at the moon, and that tonight, moon-gazing, we are together.



7/29/08
Santa Rosa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised at the very begining then touched by your interest in Chinese language and culture.You are eager to learn while many foreigners come to China with the only intention of making money.
You post a very good question:what does "Jia" mean?
In my point of view,"Jia" is a place which exists in the bottom of your heart forever.it is somebody you will turn to when you are hurt.It is a place you will stay when you are tired...
"Jia" is translated into home in English,but it's beyond home.Jia is on your back wherever you go as long as your heart is warm and open to the world.
Maybe you don't understand what i'm saying,but for me ,Jia is everything.
:)